Monday, January 5, 2009

A Funeral

We witnessed a funeral on our apartment front door step. In Ukraine, they don't gather at a church or funeral parlor, they gather at the deceased resident. Then they bring out the body in an open casket and carry it to the cemetery while everyone files in behind. In the summer they walk to the cemetery but since this is winter they went by bus.

The Macdonalds told us it is a very sad affair and people stand by the grave site and often drink vodka until they are drunk. They also go to eat at a home or a restaurant for a lavish meal, but again very solemn. After the burial they drape black curtains over all their mirrors (on cars too if they have them) for 40 days because they don't want to see the spirits floating around.

Being a 2nd world country, many people in Ukraine have to prepare the bodies of their deceased loved ones themselves.

love to all,

Nancy

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Hello everyone,

Congratulations! The boys are sweet and dear, I can hardly wait to meet them. It is hard to imagine that the next time I see you, the family will have grown by two. I am inspired by how happy their faces are – their futures are theirs for the making – thanks to you all. I have often thought how grandparents have the advantage of knowing how precious the little ones are having experienced them growing up. Now you guys have a whole new set of little ones to enjoy and the perspective of seasoned parents. Well I plan on being a seasoned aunt. I plan on getting Landslide (the board game) I like that game – a favorite from my past – and it can teach them a little about american politics. Also, we have all this Thomas the tank engine stuff from when Brandon was little. Do you think the bowys might like that or are they beyond that level? Let me know what your plans are. Love to you all,
Barbara

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad things seem to be falling into place. The pictures you posted are GREAT! The boys looks so happy! What an amazing experience you guys are having with all of the cultural experiences you are having while there for the adoption. Your head must be spinning sometimes:) Although I haven't posted many comments, I've been closely following your blog (I was a blog virgin before yours, so I'm learning how it works :) Take care and continue to enjoy yourselves as you obviously are by all the smiles I see in the photos! Love, Deb

Anonymous said...

In a few hours you will be beginning the day of Christmas Eve for the Orthodox church. Do hear the Nutcracker Suite? I think I can hear it from here.

What are the customs? Are the trees all decorated? Are their presents? EggNog? Tom & Jerrys? Do they sing carols? (There, I've outlined one of your next posts.)

Are you spending much time with the boys? I guess you can't keep them out yet, but that will come soon. How deep is the snow now? I enjoyed the pictures of the boys on the sled. I see a need for gloves that fit.

Here we are getting ready for the 12th day of Christmas, which means we'll start thinking about removing the tree. I liked your photo with Nick and Nancy in front of the tree. We miss you, all six, and can't wait.