Saturday, January 10, 2009

Trading Places

Hi

Let me start off by saying I am sick and tired of wearing the same clothes over and over......and over. I have three pairs of pants and 3 turtlenecks and a cardigan and a coat. One time I got creative and chose my black turtlneck plus my black pants. Underground revolution, Paris coffee house here I come. Of course, Nick has no problems with this because he wears the same clothes everyday anyways.

Yesterday we visited the boys and they traded places. Ruslan acted up while Valik tried to behave. Unfortunately the boys have a case of sibling rivalry as we shower them with attention. Well, I picked Valik to hold the cards while we played Candyland and that pushed Ruslan over the top. He gathered his things and left. Oh, and according to our translator, Gabby Macdonald, he refered to us as "turds" when he left. Today when we visit, we plan on seeing Ruslan first and before Valik arrives, Nick plans on giving him a stern talking to about his behavior. But right now that is about as much discipline we can muster. Language barriers and restricted visitation doesn't help the situation.

On a lighter note, Bruce Macdonald called Gabby and Valik picked up the phone and starting talking to him. He spent the whole time tattling about Ruslans behavior to Bruce. Evidently he said "you must come over here and give him consequences. Everyone here loves him, Momma, Poppa, Colin and Claire" Then Gabby said something and Valik said "shhh I'm talking on the phone." Valik's socks didn't fit him yesterday, but he didn't notice. He ran around with them flopping with each step. Very funny.

It's snowing again, only this time it is the tiny flakes, not the big fluffy ones I love.

Nancy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep the faith, Nancy, you'll soon be there. Just a couple more days, now. AND in four or five days you'll be in Kyiv with all those shops. The hryvnia is faltering again.

Anonymous said...

I wonder -- in other cultures the oldest male has more privilege, standing, power, rights - whatever you want to call it. In USA -- everything is fair and equal and that's just not the case everywhere -- I wonder if you asked about the significance of birth order if that might not be a key. And age makes a good "fall-back" -- "you are older, you can sit in the front" not a valid example now but sure worked when you kids were little. If you're working against his cultural expectations, it will be a big battle. Let me know.

I know, I always threw away whatever I took to Europe, was so sick of it when I got back after a month.