Monday, January 19, 2009

Pray for Patience...

I'll catch up the blog soon, but must jump ahead somewhat. I have been unable to blog as I have had no free time at all since the boys came home. The few times I tried to get on the computer, they were all over it, so typing was not possible. I have a few minutes now.

In so many ways the boys are wonderful. They are happy, want to please, curious, and energetic. They care for us greatly. Early mornings are always great. I know, too, that adopting these particular boys was God's will.

However, they have so many bad habits, are unresponsive to our authority, and tend to have tantrums. Colin's comment about foul language is absolutely true. I'll elaborate later.

It is not all negative. Please don't take that away from what I am writing. We have fun, and it is great to watch their excitement at so many things.

But I do need your prayers for patience. I notice that they are beginning to respond better. Unfortunately, my fuse also has gotten shorter. I am getting irritated far sooner than I did the other day, and don't want my attitude to show to the boys or to take away the joy that we have in this process.

Boys are back. More later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic thing you have done. The trip was something like the Arabian nights and you encountered all sorts of difficulties. And overcame them.

No doubt the boys will be hard to manage for a while. You speak only a few words of their language and they speak only a few words of yours. But they know what you have rescued them from. Even though they may not respond the way you think is reasonable it is probably the lack of communication. But from your description they show a lot of very good qualities and they will learn and respond.

Bad language is not rebellion, it is a habit you get into and it is hard to break even when you are trying to break it. From my own experience in Scouts, in military school, in service and working in factories, this habit becomes ingrained. But you know it isn't acceptable outside and you have to break it gradually. It sometimes continues to slip out but it is not a lifetime habit.

When you are in an institution it becomes your way of combatting the situation. It doesn't take long to realize it is just not acceptable outside the institution.

Continue to work with them but don't be discouraged by a few failures. Even when they are trying it is a hard habit to break. Temporary failures are par for the course.

I just heard from Bob that you may be coming home in three or four days. I know you'll be glad to be back in the relatively warmer weather, though by the reports you have a couple of Charlotte-like days in Kyiv just now. Watch out for falling icecycles. Falling from a six or eight story building they are like harpoons fired by canons.

Anonymous said...

Your Dad's advice sounds very good. And we are all praying for you.
If you get the chance, Rene wants to speak to you.

Unknown said...

HOoooohhhhh – the boys swear!!

(or something)

Next we’ll find out they chew gum in church.


I’m just happy they have not killed you in your sleep.

Yep, I think I can get kicked off the blog right there.


P.S. We are really looking forward to your return.

Love,

Jeff


Damn, I might have gotten back on right there.